Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Acai - Miracle Berry... Really?


Hi Everyone!

Well... Let me begin by saying this post is super important to me. As I get older, I am definitely taking a more proactive approach in attaining optimum health. So, as I am beginning to change my diet to a more vegetarian and organic one, naturally the Acai Berry keeps coming up. Oprah has been linked to it and I can't tell you how many "business opportunity" functions I have been invited to regarding selling this fruit in various forms.

First of all... Let's pronounce it correctly (ah-sah-ee). Whew! Now we can move forward :)

The acai berry is an inch-long reddish, purple fruit. It comes from the acai palm tree (Euterpe oleracea), which is native to Central and South America. It is a relative of the blueberry, cranberry, and other dark purple fruits.
Research on the acai berry has focused on its possible antioxidant activity. Theoretically, that activity may help prevent diseases caused by oxidative stress such as heart disease and cancer.

Acai is claimed to have high levels of anthocyanin which are proven to defend the body against life's stressors and play a role in our cell's protection system. However according to WebMd, when comparing Acai Juice's antioxidant levels to other pure fruit juices , the levels were shown to be equal to that of cranberry juice but lower than that of blueberry juice, concord grape juice, red wine and pomegranate juice (which is really the star, but that's for another blog!).

Also, those who have pollen allergies may not even be able to consume Acai Berries. So... I've said all of that to say what???

Acai Berries, like any other berry is great as a part of any healthy diet. However, at this time, there is no scientific evidence to prove that it's any more beneficial than the berries we are currently consuming. The end result is your choice. Acai Berries taste great. I love them in my smoothie I get from Robek and Jamba Juice. But if you incorporate berries (blueberries, strawberries, raspberries) you are filling with your body with super, nutrient packed fruit --- without emptying your pocket in the process.

With Sweet Goodness,
Shermaine




No comments:

Post a Comment