Monday, October 19, 2009

Spirulina -- What's That?


Hey Everyone!

I take Organic Spirulina every day. I do so because I have a tendency to run B Vitamin deficient and anemic. So this morning as I took my pill, I thought this would be a perfect topic for my blog as I told you I would be concentrating on strengthening the immune system so hopefully we don't have to ingest so many medicines this winter.

So here we go! Spirulina is a cyanobacteria (Blue Green Algae). Cyanobacteria are found in almost every conceivable environment, from oceans to fresh water to bare rock to soil. Aquatic cyanobacteria are probably best known for the extensive and highly visible blooms that can form in both freshwater and the marine environment and can have the appearance of blue-green paint or scum. Scum? Sounds appetizing, right? Keep reading... Spirulina is cultivated around the world, and is used as a human dietary supplement as well as a whole food and is available in tablet, flake, and powder form.

Spirulina contains an unusually high amount of protein, between 55% and 77% by dry weight, depending upon the source. It is a complete protein containing all essential amino acids, when compared to the proteins of meat, eggs, and milk. It is, however, superior to typical plant protein, such as that from legumes.

Spirulina provides docosahexaenoic acid (DHA). DHA is the most abundant omega 3 fatty acid (polyunsaturated fatty acids, PUFAs) in the brain and retina. It comprises 40% of the PUFAs in the brain and 60% of the PUFAs in the retina. 50% of the weight of the neuron's plasm membrane is composed of DHA.*

Spirulina contains vitamin B1 (thiamine), B2 (riboflavin), B3 (nicotinamide), B6 (pyridoxine), B9 (folic acid), vitamin C, vitamin D, and vitamin E. It has also been shown that people who use Spirulina regularly have had their blood pressure and cholesterol levels improved.

So... I know you all have seen the green powder at your health food store and it doesn't look tasty. But, Spirulina is a great supplement for keeping our immune systems healthy. ...and in pill form, you don't even have to taste it (wink!)...

Protect your Body... Protect your skin!

With Sweet Goodness,
Shermaine



2 comments:

  1. Hey Shermaine! Good info. I battle anemia too, so I'll see how I can add a little spirulina to my regimen. Have a fab week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you found the info helpful. Like I said, in pill form, you can incorporate them with the rest of your daily vitamins. Have a fantastic day!!!

    ReplyDelete